Networking in Knoxville 102
Places to Build Your Network in Knoxville
Last month this blog recommended some tips for networking in Knoxville (and beyond). If you are new to the area or new to networking, you might need some recommendations for places to turn your networking plan into action. While the associations, groups, and locations below are not intended to be exhaustive or all-inclusive, they will get you off to a great start!
Business Associations and Groups – Name an industry or job classification and chances are there is a professional association in Knoxville to get involved with and begin networking in.
- American Advertising Federation – Knoxville (AAF) - AAF is a place to network with agencies, client-side marketing professionals, media, creatives, freelancers, and others who love the advertising business.
- Business Network International (BNI) – A structured referral group that only allows one person per industry to join chapters. Knoxville has several chapters.
- Business & Professional Associations (BPAs) – These community-based business organizations have a presence in the following parts of town:
- East Knox County BPA
- Farragut Business Alliance
- Fountain City BPA
- Halls BPA
- Greater Karns Business Association
- North Knox BPA
- Powell BPA
- Knoxville Chamber – The region’s largest chamber of commerce with around 2,200 members, the Knoxville Chamber produces more than 60 events a year focused on business and businesspeople. Networking can occur at any event, but the events listed below are programmed specifically for networking:
- Schmoozapalooza – held twice a year
- Business After Hours – held 4-6 times a year
- a.m. Exchanges – held 4-6 times a year
- BAH Humbug – annual holiday event
- Entrepreneurs of Knoxville (EOK) - A diverse group of successful business owners and entrepreneurs and those working to achieve their goal of becoming an entrepreneur.
- eWomen Network – An organization that supports, promotes and showcases its members' products and services and to help them achieve their professional goals.
- Executive Women’s Association (EWA) – An association created to help encourage women to aspire to the highest career goals.
- Financial Executives International (FEI) – This group provides financial professionals a forum to meet and share. They have meetings on a monthly basis.
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of East Tennessee – Promotes the start and growth of Hispanic businesses through networking and technical assistance and also serves as a unique link between these businesses and mainstream businesses in this region
- Knoxville Chapter of the American Marketing Association (KAMA) – Made up of marketing and communications professionals, KAMA offers monthly meetings where ideas are shared, knowledge is learned, and relationships are made. The organization hosts monthly lunch and learns as well as several after work gatherings.
- Volunteer Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) – The world’s largest and foremost organization of public relations professionals. The Volunteer Chapter has more than 100 members and meets on a monthly basis.
- Tennessee Valley Human Resource Association (TVHRA) - TVHRA promotes HR best practices, informs members of current trends in HR subject matter, provides legal updates, and hosts local and state-wide HR conferences. They meet monthly.
- Young Professionals of Knoxville (YPK) - YPK inspires Knoxville's young professionals to connect, develop, and serve to build leaders and improve our community.
Places to Be Seen - Every town has places where you can always walk in and know someone – giving you the opportunity to build rapport or be introduced to another contact.
For Early Risers
- Pete’s Coffee Shop -- 540 Union Ave., 37902
- Holly’s Gourmet Market & Café -- 5107 Kingston Pike, 37919
- First Watch -- 6474 Kingston Pike, 37919; 11682 Parkside Drive, 37934
Let’s Grab Lunch